Disclaimer...

The thoughts, views and opinions expressed in the posts and comments of this blog are the product of the author alone. Nothing expressed here is intended to represent any person or entity other than the author. Everything here should be understood as the personal opinions of the author. No information on this blog will be understood as official in any capacity.

Saturday, October 3, 2009

May Contain Spoilers... 4 of 4

I think I am going to try to keep this section short and sweet. This is going to cover two categories. First, off season shows or shows that show during the summer. Then I am going to rattle off a couple of British shows that are worth looking at. Then I am going to go pass out.

So off season shows...

Well for starters there is True Blood. After two seasons I still can't decide that I like this show but I can be damn sure I can't stop watching it. I don't particularly care for either lead role but I am loving the hell out of the supporting cast. If vampires are real then magic must be real. They need to find a way to bring Godric back. Just sayin.

And Leverage! Hitter, hacker, grifter, thief... Throw in a mastermind and you have an outstanding ensemble show with the potential to go anywhere! The characterizations here absolutely live up to any hype you may have heard. And on the off chance you haven't heard any, consider this hype. Rumor has it that this show has already been renewed beyond the second season but from what I can see, there are still three unaired and unscheduled episodes of season two! If anyone knows what in the world is going on here please let me know!

The one new summer show I found this year was put out on Syfy. (What the hell was wrong with scifi by the way?) Warehouse 13 is a little bit more flighty and a lot less serious than most shows of its ilk but, certainly, no less entertaining for that. It centers around a team of agents who work at recovering artifacts that are, through various methods, imbued with special powers. If it sounds hokey, it is but seriously, well worth watching. (And on a random note, I love that Claudia is a regular character. I didn't think that was going to happen and was thrilled when it did.)

Ok... Off season shows covered... Lets spend just a moment talking about some foreign programs.

By some, I mean two and by foreign I mean from the BBC. (What!? I can only speak English so I am limited on my foreign viewing capabilities!)

First off, a show some of you may have noticed on NBC over the summer, Merlin. It is a period piece which means armor and old fashioned looking costumes. It also means that it will probably never really catch on here in the states but in the UK, it has been renewed for a second season and I am looking forward to it wholeheartedly. As the name implies, it is a re-imagining of the Arthurian legend from a point of view centering around Merlin. What you don't get from the title is the fact that they are young, magic of any kind is outlawed, Uther Pendragon is still the king and Arthur is still being shaped by his experiences into the legendary ruler we know. If you know the legends you know most of the characters and if you don't know them, well, this seems like as good a way as any to fall in love with the magic and majesty that have captivated people for centuries!

And finally, before I pass out, I would like to tell you about a show centering around three housemates in Bristol, England. the show is actually surprisingly deep and amazingly done. It has inner conflict, external conflict, good guys, bad guys and enough drama that sometimes it isn't entirely clear which character is on which side. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention... The three main characters are a vampire, a werewolf and a ghost. Being Human is actually a bloody amazing show in spite of (or because of), well, everything about it! :p

That having been said, I am going to go pass out... Happy viewing! See you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment