Disclaimer...

The thoughts, views and opinions expressed in the posts and comments of this blog are the product of the author alone. Nothing expressed here is intended to represent any person or entity other than the author. Everything here should be understood as the personal opinions of the author. No information on this blog will be understood as official in any capacity.

Friday, September 11, 2009

Momentum...

Momentum is a funny and scary thing. It all goes back to two key facts that, I think, most of us learned back in elementary school.

1. An object in motion stays in motion.

and

2. Every action causes an equal and opposite reaction.















You remember this little thing, right? Come on... You know you had one.

Time and again it has been brought home to us that these two truisms are always going to be and that there is not a damned thing we can do about them.

So, of course, the next question is; How do we harness them?

I have seen diagrams and designs for perpetual motion engines using springs and elastics and any number of other things but what I am talking about is something that is a little bit more true to life for each of us.

Personally, I have lost track of how many times I have allowed myself to be caught up in the whirlwind of events taking place around me. I have been dragged behind trains of events and mercilessly trampled under the horses of emotion. The bottom line, though, is that, each time, I have allowed events and circumstances to push me into a position where all I could do is allow the storm to wash over me.

Well, all I would do, anyway...

Now I am trying something different. I am not just allowing myself to drift through the chaotic seas of life but, instead, I am offering up my own momentum. I have begun shaping the storm and harnessing its energy into something that, ultimately, will turn to my advantage.

The internet is a tool. Millions of us spend time each day floating through cyberspace, surfing on the waves of thought that have been compiled for our perusal. This blog (along with the other social media sites that I am working on) is my little corner. This is where I am attempting to manipulate the current in such a way that I will no longer be just a casual traveler but, instead, a destination in my own right.

As I grow my little corner of the world into something more substantial, this will be the cornerstone of my empire. From this outcropping will stem a steady flow of creativity and content that will draw others into my wake and allow me a stepping stone into the next stage of my life.

This is perpetual motion.

This is the beginning of my momentum.

This is where I launch my life.

The most important thing you can do to achieve your goals is to make sure that as soon as you set them, you immediately begin to create momentum. The most important rules that I ever adopted to help me in achieving my goals were those I learned from a very successful man who taught me to first write down the goal, and then to never leave the site of setting a goal without first taking some kind of positive action towards its attainment.
-Anthony Robbins-

1 comment:

  1. Cool - an empire! If you ever start handing out titles, I would like to be the Keeper of the Ale (more sophisticated than Bar Wench, ya know?). Good for you for taking control of your life - it must be invigorating.

    P.S. Did you notice the ghost of Newton behind your ball-clacker thing? Spooky!

    ReplyDelete