Disclaimer...

The thoughts, views and opinions expressed in the posts and comments of this blog are the product of the author alone. Nothing expressed here is intended to represent any person or entity other than the author. Everything here should be understood as the personal opinions of the author. No information on this blog will be understood as official in any capacity.

Thursday, September 27, 2012

We're All Gonna Get in a Fight!...

So, the main reason I came back here is because I sometimes have things to say that I think are worth sharing. Hopefully you think so too or you would probably not be here. I try to keep things entertaining and engaging but I haven't seen nearly enough folks commenting so we are going to try something different.

The other day I was listening to the radio and a song said something along the lines of "I'll die for you..." and I got to thinking a little bit. What if that doesn't mean everything we think it does? What if that was the absolute worst possible option? Personally, I am not sure I would like the idea of someone else dying for me.

And so I sent out some messages to various friends asking this question and now I shall pose it to you...

Would you contribute more value to someone willing to die for you, or to someone willing to kill for you?

And even more importantly, why?

Now, there are a few thoughts and thinking points I want to bring up here before I ask for everyone to share their thoughts.

First, does the nature of the individual weigh into the value? For instance, is it worth more for an obsessively moral person to be willing to kill for you as opposed to someone who might feel less remorse over the act? Is there more weight to a self-important egotist willing to lay down their lives for you as opposed to someone more self sacrificing? Is there a sliding scale where the answer varies depending on who the person is?

Secondly, I want to be clear that I am referring to someone who is actively putting themselves in harms way, not someone who is killing themselves on an alter to prove their love. We aren't talking about suicide pacts or anything.

Finally, do circumstances matter? Does it matter if someone is taking out a threat or just generally putting themselves or others at risk?

Now to the rules...

(I told you in my last post there would be rules. I am a man of my word.)

1. "Just because," is not an answer. If you are of the opinion that there is a correct answer to our quandary, share your justification. Explain why you believe as you do.

2. There is no correct or incorrect answer. I encourage you to debate various answers but nobody is allowed to attack someone else for their opinion or for their reasoning.

3. No repeating yourself. If you feel the same way as someone else, you are welcome to voice your agreement but if you have come to the final point in your argument, you are not allowed to repeat yourself in a louder, firmer voice in the hopes of persuasion through repetition.

4. Circumstances are allowed to change perception. If someone points out a different circumstance where you feel like your answer would change, that is fine. Please explain what it is about the circumstance that is influencing the swap and whether the swap is for that instance only or if you are recanting your previous opinion .

I think that more or less covers it. If something else comes up that requires additional rules or moderation, I will let you know. In the meantime, weigh in people! I am hardily curious how this one will turn out.

For those who may not recognize him, this is a picture of Marvin Gaye back in 1973. For those of you who may not understand the reference or why in the world I would choose to include his picture here, "Let's get it on!"

One additional note: I want to see as many thoughts and opinions as possible so invite your friends to join in! It may be only a theoretical question but I somehow think it may have more meaning than, "How do you like your eggs?" It may only be a start but I think most of us could benefit from getting to know a little more about our friends and neighbors.

1 comment:

  1. My only thought on this is,
    I would not allow, nor want either in a friend.
    I would rather die or kill for them so as to ease their burden.
    I could not and would not be able to live knowing someone would kill or die for me.
    The value of our relationship does not ever depend on their willingness to do either for me.

    ReplyDelete